Resources for Seniors
- Check out the UConn Seniors website for information on graduation and post-graduation planning.
- Follow Degree Audit’s Steps to a Successful Graduation to make sure you’re ready to graduate.
- Refer to the Commencement Office for information pertaining to the May commencement ceremony.
Graduation vs. Commencement
Graduation occurs when you have completed all of your requirements, whereas commencement is the ceremony in May that celebrates graduation. Students finishing up coursework in December or the Summer are eligible to “walk” in May commencement but will not graduate until they have completed all of the requirements for their degree.
Dates and Deadlines
All students wishing to participate in commencement must apply to graduate and submit their final plan of study by the deadline stated below. Late submission may result in your name being absent from publications or ineligibility to participate in commencement.
|Last Term of Coursework||Graduation Term||Begin to Apply||Deadline||Commencement|
|Spring 2017||Spring 2017||After enrolling for Spring 2017||February 13, 2017||May 7, 2017|
|Summer 2017||Summer 2017||After enrolling for Spring 2017||February 13, 2017||May 7, 2017|
|Fall 2017||Fall 2017||March 13, 2017 or after enrolling for Fall 2017||September 25, 2017||May 6, 2018|
|Winter 2018||Spring 2018||October 13, 2017 or after registering for Spring 2018||February 12, 2018||May 6, 2018|
|Spring 2018||Spring 2018||October 13, 2017 or after registering for Spring 2018||February 12, 2018||May 6, 2018|
Apply to Graduate and Submit your Final Plan of Study
After you register for your final academic semester, apply to graduate in the Student Administration System (i.e., PeopleSoft) according to the term in which you will complete your coursework. Applying to graduate allows Degree Audit in the registrar’s office to track your progress and rectify any problems (e.g., insufficient credits, unfulfilled requirements, etc.). Then, submit your final plan of study by the fourth week of your final semester in the academic year. (That’s the Spring semester for Summer graduates and the Fall semester for Winter graduates.)
Electronic Submission Instructions
- Please be sure your plan(s) are correct.
- If you haven’t already, apply to graduate in the Student Administration System (i.e., PeopleSoft).
- Submit your final plan of study in the Student Administration System [View Tutorial].
- Navigate to your Academic Requirements report, and click the now visible Submit Final Plan of Study button.
- In the Comments box, be sure to list any SLHS transfer courses and non-pre-approved related courses you will be using. Winter and Summer graduates should also list the winter or summer courses they plan on taking.
- Your advisor(s) will be notified, review your plan, and (if no errors are present) approve it.
- Once your Final Plan of Study is approved, it will be sent to Degree Audit in the registrar’s office.
Pursuing a double major, additional degree, or minor?
- Double major students (two majors in CLAS): You only need to submit your plan of study once, and each department will independently approve their portion.
- Additional degree students with Business, Education, and Engineering: You only need to submit your plan of study once, and each department will independently approve their portion.
- Additional degree students with other schools and colleges: Only the Business, CLAS, Education, and Engineering participate in the online submission process at this time. You must submit a paper plan of study for majors outside of these colleges.
- Minor students: Electronic submission is for majors only. You must submit a paper plan of study for your minor(s).