We no longer require students to complete observation hours as part of the undergraduate degree requirements (formerly offered as CDIS 4242). However, we strongly recommend that students complete these hours if they are pursuing graduate programs in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (e.g., Au.D., M.A). The following materials outline how to fulfill the observation hours in order to receive documentation of completion.
- We are currently working on a new process for obtaining observation hours directly at the UConn Speech and Hearing Clinic. As soon as we have finalized the process we will make a broad announcement to students. In the meantime, students can utilize Master Clinician Network to gain observation hours or earn hours off-campus. If utilizing Master Clinician Network, please select Dr. Nancy McMahon as the approver and email Dr. McMahon to alert her that you have completed hours. Once your hours have been approved, please print out a copy and submit them with all other logs that you hand in for approval as noted above.
- Requirements for Off-Campus Observations – Including required paperwork
- Observation FAQ’s
Submitting Hours for Approval:
- For hours completed at the UConn Speech and Hearing Clinic or at an off-site facility: Submit the original paper log and any additional documentation required directly to the Clinic Director, Dr. Nancy McMahon, for final approval (original documentation only; copies will not be accepted). These can be left in her mailbox on the 2nd floor of the PCSB Building in room 225 between the hours of 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Notice: Please keep a copy of all of your documentation for your records. If you require assistance to determine the number of hours currently on file, please email Sirrah Galligan at email@example.com.
- For hours completed on Master Clinician Network: Select Dr. Nancy McMahon as the approver of each session you complete and email Dr. McMahon to alert her that you have completed hours. Once you have completed all anticipated hours through Master Clinician network and the hours have been approved, download a copy of the hours and send them electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When you are ready for your hours to be sent to your graduate school, please email email@example.com with an email address and contact name of where you would like your hours to be sent. Please allow a two week turn-around time for these requests.
- Observation Hour Signature and Summary Form
- Observation Guidelines Agreement – For UConn Speech & Hearing Clinic Observations Only
- UConn Speech & Hearing Clinic Confidentiality Statement Form – For UConn Speech & Hearing Clinic Observations Only
- Verification of ASHA Certification (CCC-CPC) – For Off-Campus Observations Only