Please read all of the information below carefully as it outlines our entire admission process.
Please also reference our FAQ page before contacting the department with admission questions as most of the information can be found on our website.
We have a dual application system. Applicants must apply to UConn through both the CSDCAS system and the UConn Graduate School Hobson’s system. Details are noted below. You must apply to both systems in order to be considered for admission.
The number of new admissions into the M.A. degree program is limited and is based on a full review of all application materials. Admissions are made only for the Fall semester of each year.
Applications must be submitted and listed as “COMPLETE” to both the CSDCAS system and the UConn Hobson’s system by the deadline, as noted below. Applicants should refer to the section on M.A. pre-professional courses to understand the academic track for which they would be considered.
At this time, the SLHS department does not require the following items for either application system:
- A writing sample
- Praxis I Waiver
- Personal statement
GRE & GPAs
The minimum GPA for consideration of your application by the Graduate School is 3.0. The Graduate School will accept either your cumulative GPA or your last 2-year GPA, whichever is higher. While all applications will be reviewed, the average GPA of students admitted to the SLHS M.A. program is 3.7 for undergraduate study. In addition, the average GRE scores for admitted students are a cumulative verbal and quantitative score of 300 or higher. The written score on the GRE is generally 3.5 or higher.
GRE scores for M.A. SLP applicants are only to be sent via UConn Hobson’s system (do not submit GRE scores through CSDCAS).
Application Submission and Review
Applications and all materials must be received by January 1 for admission to the following Fall semester. Students accepted into the program will be notified by mid-March.
Applying to the M.A. degree requires two electronic applications:
- The Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Services (CSDCAS)
- UConn Graduate School’s online application system, Hobson’s.
You must apply through both systems in order to be considered for admission. Applying through one system does not automatically apply you to the other system. Submission to both systems must be completed by the deadline for consideration of admission for the following Fall semester. We will not accept applications that are completed after the deadline date of January 1, or review applications from applicants who apply to only one system.
In order for an application to be reviewed, the application must be listed as “COMPLETE” in CSDCAS. This means that all materials (e.g. transcripts, letters of recommendation) must have been received by CSDCAS. We will review applications that are waiting to be verified in CSDCAS as of January 1, but all materials must have been submitted before the deadline in order to be reviewed. You will know that this has occurred when your application status is shown as “COMPLETE” in CSDCAS.
In order for an application to be reviewed, the application must also be complete in the UConn Hobson’s system.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to confirm that applications are completed in both the CSDCAS and UConn Hobson’s systems.
1. Requirements for CSDCAS application (Opens on September 15): CSDCAS
CSDCAS requires the following for the application:
- Application fee (Some fee waivers are available; information here)
- Official transcripts from all collegiate institutions. CSDCAS provides a tool to easily generate a transcript request form that can be submitted to individual universities. It is important that you submit all academic transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation/reference/evaluation – (submitted electronically only through CSDCAS). At minimum, we recommend that two of the three letters be from academic faculty. For more information on the request process for letters of recommendation, please refer to the following link: (https://portal.csdcas.org/csdcasHelpPages/instructions-and-faq/transcripts/letters-of-reference/)
- Responses to two out of four essay questions (in lieu of a personal statement)
Please access the following information regarding the CSDCAS application system. It is important that you follow all of the CSDCAS instructions carefully – https://portal.csdcas.org/csdcasHelpPages/instructions-and-faq/index.html
Please note that while the deadline for our program in January 1, CSDCAS support is not available on December 31 and January 1. Therefore, applicants are strongly encouraged to ensure that their CSDCAS applications are listed as “Complete” prior to December 31.
2. Requirements for the UConn Hobson’s application: UConn Graduate School Application
The UConn Graduate School requires the following for the application:
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions uploaded to the Hobson’s application.
- GRE scores (Institutional Code – 3915)
- TOEFL scores (if applicable)
- Resident affidavit
- Note for International Students – International students must send Official transcripts directly to the Graduate School mailing address which can be found here). Do not send official transcripts directly to the SLHS department.
Not Required in Hobson’s application at this time:
- Letters of Recommendation are not required in the UConn Hobson’s application
- A personal statement is not required in the UConn Hobson’s application.
- Note: Some applicants have reported an error in submitting their application without the personal statement being uploaded. If you experience this error, please upload a word document that says “not required” to override the system.
Please access the following information regarding admission requirements via the UConn Graduate School – http://grad.uconn.edu/prospective-students/admissions-requirements/.
In order for your application to be reviewed, your application must be submitted with all materials received by the deadline of January 1.