FAQs: Applying to the M.A. SLP program at UConn

Applying to the Program

When is the application deadline?

The application deadline is January 15.  By this deadline, (1) your CSDCAS application must be listed as “Complete” in CSDCAS and (2) your Slate application must be listed as “Submitted”. We strongly encourage you to submit your applications and required materials as soon as possible to ensure that they are listed listed in these statuses for review.

When will I hear a decision about admission?

We aim to send admission decisions by mid-March.

What is the average GPA of admitted students?

The average GPA for our admitted students is around 3.70.

My recommenders do not want to upload their recommendations to the system. What should I do?

The CSDCAS system requires that letters be submitted electronically.  If you are having issues obtaining an electronic reference, please contact the SLHS department at slhs@uconn.edu.

Why do I have to manually enter my transcript on CSDCAS even though I send official transcripts?

This process, while tedious, promotes a more fair evaluation of students across majors and universities because performance in a physics pre-requisite, for example, can be compared across students even if the course numbers or universities differ. This process also allows students to be evaluated based on custom reporting for our program, such as examining performance in the major classes (i.e., excluding general education classes).  Please follow the instructions on CSDCAS carefully when entering your transcript information.  Mistakes made here can often delay your application, and we will not review your application unless CSDCAS marks the application as “Complete” by the deadline.

Should I upload an unofficial transcript and send an official copy to the department?

At the time of applying, applicants must submit an official copy of their transcripts to CSDCAS and an unofficial copy of their transcript should be uploaded to the UConn Graduate School Application system.  Please be sure to include transcripts of all undergraduate institutions attended.  Do not send copies of your official transcript directly to the department.

CSDCAS has an online transcript request form that students can access.  More details on how to Send Documents to CSDCAS.

International applicants only must also submit an official copy of their transcripts directly to the UConn Graduate School at the following address:

The Whetten Graduate Center, Second Floor
University of Connecticut
438 Whitney Road Extension, Unit-1152
Storrs, CT 06269-1152

I will not have completed all of my undergraduate coursework in SLHS by the time I apply. Is it okay for me to apply?

Yes. We recognize that you may be completing coursework during the Spring or Summer semesters. If you are admitted into the program, we will request that you send us an official final copy of your transcript upon graduating so that we can ensure that you have completed your courses.

On the CSDCAS application, there is a section that will allow you to outline the courses you have completed or will be completing within the major to allow us to better understand what courses you may be taking in your final semester.


Questions about Application Status

Please note that we do not respond to inquiries to confirm submission of your application.  You should routinely reference the portal to confirm your application has been submitted.  If you have concerns about your application status, please reach out to the following contacts:

  • CSDCAS Application  – Applicant Help Center  – Important – please do not contact the UConn Graduate School with questions regarding CSDCAS as they do not use the CSDCAS portal
  • Slate Application – please email gradadmissions@uconn.edu – Important – for Slate specific questions only.


General Program Information

How many students do you admit each year?

While our program is growing, our average incoming class size is approximately 20 students. This allows us to give you the personalized attention and hands-on clinical experiences necessary to leave our program highly qualified for your career.

Are part-time students accepted?

No. The UConn M.A. program is a full-time program.

Do you accept Fall and Spring admissions?

No. In our program you move with a cohort; therefore, admission is only for the Fall semester of each year.

How do I know if I am eligible for the 2-year or 3-year track?

Students are eligible for the 2-year program only if they have completed all pre-professional coursework as outlined on our website.

During the review process, we flag applications where it seems unlikely that this coursework will be completed by the program start date, which generally occurs for students who are non-SLHS majors. If students are admitted to the program but do not have these prerequisites, then we admit them to the 3-year program. If – upon being given an offer of admission – a student indicates a plan to finish the pre-professional coursework prior to the program start date, then they would begin as 2-year students.

What financial opportunities does the program offer for graduate students?

Unfortunately, the department does not have any scholarship or financial support opportunities available at this time. In some instances, some work positions may be available depending on grant funded opportunities for research within the department. However, these are often unknown until the start of the academic year.

All students are encouraged to apply for work study through their financial aid application. If awarded, this allows student’s the opportunity to search for any work study position available on campus.

In addition, students can visit the UConn Office of Financial Aid (http://financialaid.uconn.edu/scholarships/) to learn about other funding opportunities available to students.

When does the department host open houses?

We currently do not host open houses for the graduate programs.  Unfortunately at this time, we have extremely limited availability for in-person meetings.  We kindly request that you send an email to the department with any questions that you may have and we will direct those inquiries to a faculty or staff member who will get back to you at their earliest convenience.  To do this, please contact the program coordinator at slhs@uconn.edu.

I don’t have all 25 observation hours. What should I do?

You do not need to have observation hours completed at the time of applying. However, admitted students are required to complete 25 observation hours before beginning the program in the fall.   These hours must be documented and sent to the program assistant during the summer before your expected enrollment date. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain these hours.  For more information, please reference the Observation Hours for M.A. Admitted Students page.